Gilles & Cecile Studio designed the below illustration to be printed and folded into an origami holiday decoration. If you would like to fold one for yourself, drag the image below to your desktop, print 2 copies and follow the step by step instruction on how to assemble this unit origami holiday ornament below.
1. Print two copies
2. With the color side up, valley fold and unfold across the diagonals. Turn paper over.
3. With the white side up, valley fold left to right and unfold.
4. Valley fold top to bottom.
5. Hold the paper along the fold made in step 3 and push them together. Continue to collapse until you get a square shape that has two layers on the left and two layers on the right (this is called the preliminary base).
6. Lift one layer from left side and squash down (this is called the squash fold). The top layer should look like a kite.
7. Flip the right half of the kite towards the left.
8. Repeat steps 5 and 6 on the right layer.
9. Turn over and repeat steps 5 through 7.
10. Completed unit should look like a kite with 4 layers on the left and 4 layers on the right.
11. Repeat steps 1 through 8 on another sheet of paper.
12. On the top layer,flip one layer from left to right. On the bottom layer, flip one layer right to left.
13. The unit should still have 4 layers on the left and 4 layers on the right side. It will look like a kite with a visible split.
Assemble the two units by tucking-in the flaps from one unit into the pockets of the second unit. Ideally, there should be 8 tucks to complete the assembly process.
Tips: Be patient and fiddle with it a little. You may need to rotate the model around and around to redo tucks that have come undone.
Model is relatively stable and does not need glue. Glue is recommended if you do not want the model to be disassembled by curious admirers.
Directions from: Origami-Resource-Center.com
Thank you for a great 2011 and we are looking forward to a fruitful 2012!
In Lieu of gifts this holiday season, AUGUST has made a donation to The American Kidney Fund
The mission of the American Kidney Fund is to fight kidney disease through direct financial support to patients in need; health education; and prevention efforts. The American Kidney Fund envisions a world without kidney disease. As we move toward that goal, we work to achieve a nation in which kidney patients have access to the health care they need, and one in which there are far fewe r people with kidney disease.
Wishing you a very Happy New Year!
From everyone at AUGUST